Support Forum

Registration is not required to ask a question. If you're a Pro Club member, please use our Priority Support page for a faster response.

FindStringInDirectory. Search for text in multiple files.

Home Forums Product Support FindStringInDirectory. Search for text in multiple files.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Introduction:

Earlier today I had to locate a single line of code in an directory full of (several thousand) text files. Windows search failed miserably; so I had to get my hands dirty and write this simple app to avoid having to individually open each file and search hopelessly.

FindStringInDirectory

Usage:

Using the app is incredibly straightforward: select a directory to scan, enter a string to look for and press the Scan button.

Features

– Recursive scanning of filesystem directories.
    – Ability to compare file contents.
    – Double-click to open file in default program.

…that’s it! This program was written in about ten minutes so there are essentially no cool features. That means no multithreading, no unicode support, no translations, no Regular Expression support, no updater. Nothing. Nada. Nil.

Download

.NET 3.5 is required. Works on Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8.

Support & Future Plans

All support for this tool will be handled in this topic. With the exception of fixes for major/dangerous/irritating bugs, there will be no updates or improvements to this program. Unless of course, I need a new feature for my personal use.

Attachments:
    #7980 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

21/10/2012: Added ability to make Window resizable.

#9430 Reply
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I loved it a lot 😉

please make it supports arabic and other languages

#10525 Reply
    Chris Hockenberry
    Participant

This a tool I have been needing for a long time, but the download is not working (The Web Attom site says they are pivoting in a new direction…)! Thee other text tool that has been driving me batty is the ability to search across a directory and replace a whole block of code with another block of code. Sometime I am replacing 1 line of code with three, sometimes I am needing to find three lines of code and replace it with one. None of the IDEs I have used of late can do it effectively 🙁 Macromedia’s Dreamweaver used to be able to do it – then Adobe bought them… Visual Studio, Eclipse, TextMate, Sublime… none could do it when I was checking last.

either way – please fix the link 🙂

#10530 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

I don’t have access to that file at the moment (currently abroad). I’ll have it uploaded for you in a few days. Sorry for the trouble!

#10539 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Fixed.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Reply #7980 in FindStringInDirectory. Search for text in multiple files.
Your information: