Support Forum

Registration is not required to ask a question. If you're a Pro Club member, please use our Priority Support page for a faster response.

OldChromeRemover – Remove Obsolete Google Chrome Versions

Home Forums Product Support OldChromeRemover – Remove Obsolete Google Chrome Versions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Google Chrome has addressed this issue and this tool is no longer needed. Google Chrome’s updater now correctly removes previous versions.

OldChromeRemover is a simple console program that checks for any redundant versions of Google Chrome left behind by the updater. It will quickly remove all except the newest version when prompted by the user, allowing you to free up valuable disk space. OldChromeRemover also supports Chrome ‘Canary’ builds. This tool is for Windows users only, however a similar app (by somebody else) for Mac OSX users can be found here.

Microsoft .NET 3.5 must be installed to use. System Ninja contains the functionality of this program build into the scanner, and is recommended over OldChromeRemover. Windows Vista/Windows 7 users must use “Run As Administrator.”

Now over 100,000 downloads!

Do not use if you have multiple Chrome channels installed simultaneously!

Advanced usage

You can silently run OldChromeRemover using the “/AUTO” command line argument. This will silently perform the scan, remove any detected directories and files, then exit the program.

Changelog

Version 0.1: Initial release
    Version 0.2: Added ‘\AUTO’ commandline switch support
    Version 0.3: Added removal support for old_chrome.exe file and Chrome Canary builds.
    Version 0.4: Improved detection on x64 Windows.
    Version 0.5: Fixed ‘Version string length’ error for most users.

#5584 Reply
    Merijn

Works like a charm, thanks Shane!

A GUI would be nice of course, but this works fine too. 🙂

#5585 Reply
    Igor

This program and system ninja are so effective…after running the program and deleteing over 1.5Gb of junk and dump files,i have a faster response from my pc,thank you alot!

#5586 Reply
    ice

I hate to spoil it but what if I’m running a portable version of Chrome?

Is there anyway I can tune the program a bit so it CAN look for files in my chosen directory when its detecting Chrome installation?

#5587 Reply
    Mad_Serg

When “Run As Administrator“ Windows 7 asks a password for Administrator and really removes old Chrome but only for Administrator, not for user!

#5588 Reply
    David Lynch

Thanks for the update, it’s perfect for scripts with the /auto switch.

Cheers! 🙂

#6293 Reply
    Kahlil Moonwalker

Neat idea, but it’s much more effective to install Chrome system-wide (i.e. in Program Files and not each individual user’s App Data folder).

#6299 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

Kahil: Chrome will (sometimes) still store previous versions; even if you install to %ProgramFiles%. For what it’s worth; OldChromeRemover will also work in those situations.

#6343 Reply
    ayrtonf1

VirusTotal is a free service that analyzes suspicious files and URLs and facilitates the quick detection of viruses, worms, trojans, and all kinds of malware.

OldChromeRemover at VirusTotal

#6362 Reply
    Shane Gowland
    Keymaster

These are just false positives. OldChromeRemover uses programming techniques frequently utilized by malware to achieve its goal; so it sometimes gets flagged by low quality scanners. (Emsi/Ikarus are notorious for false positives)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 30 total)
Reply To: Reply #9601 in OldChromeRemover – Remove Obsolete Google Chrome Versions
Your information: